Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jayasudha says she deserves doctorate

Jayasudha says she deserves doctorate
Student unions want the University to recall the doctorate announced for youThese student unions have no right to talk about me. This is just another publicity stunt. Why don’t they concentrate on student welfare activities instead. There would be some merit to it if the criticism came from top leaders like Chandrababu Naidu or Chiranjeevi.  Critics point out that you’ve done nothing to deserve a doctorate... Of course I deserve it. In fact, everyone in the film industry has been saying I got it a tad too late. I have been working since I was 13. I have done the maximum number of lead roles and I’m the only actress in the industry to have done roles portraying the problems faced by women. I’ve also got the maximum number of Nandi awards. If I don’t deserve a doctorate, then who does? Would you have been chosen if you hadn’t joined the Congress?

My role in the Congress party has nothing to do with the University’s decision to confer an honorary doctorate on me. I can understand if an Ileana or Nayanatara joins the Congress and then gets an award. But i am a senior actress and I certainly deserve it. Don’t you think universities should stop felicitating those who wield political power?

I am an actress first, and then a politician. I have been doing a lot of charity work for the past several years. Also, through television shows, i have helped the poor. Politicians are eligible for doctorates if they are worthy of it. Moreover, this honour is not a result on anyone’s recommendation. I never applied for any award or doctorate.  Should be strict guidelines to decide who gets a doctorate?It is for the Universities to decide. All i can say is that i should have gotten such accolades long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment